Photos

Keyword: Category: Tag: Sort By:
Maxwell Centennial Celebration


2Lt William Maxwell

On Nov. 8, 1922, the War Department renamed the Montgomery Air Intermediate Depot to Maxwell Field in honor of 2nd Lt. William C. Maxwell, born in Natchez, Alabama. Maxwell received his aviator’s wings and officer commission in October 1919. In 1920, he was reassigned to the Philippines. While in the Philippines, on Aug. 12, 1920, his DH-4 aircraft developed engine trouble, and he attempted to land on a road. However, after seeing a group of children on the road, he swerved his aircraft to avoid hitting them and struck a flagpole, causing his aircraft to crash and killing Maxwell. (U.S. Air Force photo)

Related Imagery
Air University History Office
180208-F-ZZ999-1004.JPG

DOWNLOAD PHOTO
(0.24 MB)



Tags
Max100



< Back to Main Gallery