AIR UNIVERSITY OFFICE OF HISTORY|
Printable Fact Sheet
To influence the future by reminding the present of the achievements, challenges and failures of the past.
To provide U. S. Air Force (USAF) decision-makers with accurate, concise historical information in a timely fashion; to build unit cohesion and esprit de corps by connecting today's airmen with the richness of their USAF heritage; and to ensure that the USAF's patrimony of valor, service, and achievement is preserved for the airmen of the future and the nation they will defend.
About the Air University Office of History
- Provides the AU commander, AU headquarters staff, and AU component organizations, including the 42nd Air Base Wing, with historical research services and support.
- Researches, writes and produces the AU annual history, an internal USAF report documenting the activities of AU and its component organizations, along with reports, topical studies, oral history interviews, and other historical products.
- Answers inquiries on historical matters concerning AU, its component and predecessor organizations, including the Air Corps Tactical School, and Maxwell-Gunter AFB.
- Oversees or manages the custodianship of original artwork loaned to AU and other Maxwell-Gunter organizations by the USAF Art Program.
- Provides advice and assistance to custodians of the historical properties on loan from the National Museum of the USAF to AU and other Maxwell-Gunter AFB organizations; displays include the Maxwell Air Park, the Major General Ira Eaker Heritage Room in the Eaker Center for Professional Development, and the Air Force Enlisted Heritage Hall at Gunter Annex.
- Maintains the Maxwell AFB archives, including documentary and photographic materials recording the history of AU (1946-present), Maxwell Field and its air base organizations (1929-present), the Air Corps Tactical School (1920-1940), and flying activities in the vicinity of Montgomery, Alabama, since the opening of the Wright Brothers' Flying School in 1910.
60 Schumacher Ave., Ste 3, Bldg 803
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6337
Phone: (334) 953-5262
FAX: (334) 953-9990