Keeping parties safe |
Posted 12/14/2012 Updated 12/14/2012
by Capt. John Noah
42nd Medical Group
12/14/2012 - MAXWELL AIR FORCE BASE, Al -- As the holidays approach, the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention and Treatment Program encourages everyone to keep safe party practices in mind.
Those hosting a holiday party should:
· Offer your guests non-alcoholic drinks and nutritious foods.
· Monitor your guests' drinking by serving measured, standard drinks.
· Stop serving alcohol at least one hour before your party ends.
· Never serve alcohol to an intoxicated guest. Instead, offer non-alcoholic drinks, keeping in mind nothing can "sober up" a person immediately.
· Offering an intoxicated individual coffee or a cold shower will only make them more alert, not sober.
· Do not allow alcohol to become the focus of your celebration.
Those attending a party should:
· Bring your host a non-alcoholic gift everyone can enjoy.
· Take care to drink responsibly and DO NOT drive.
· As always, assign a designated driver at every holiday event you choose to attend.
If for some reason you are unable to procure a designated driver, call a taxi. Identification cardholders can call 953-AADD (2233) to get a ride from Airmen Against Drunk Driving.
You should not attempt to drive home, even after "just a few drinks."