MAXWELL AIR FORCE BASE, Ala. --
Air University recognized the achievements of 26 alumni with their induction into the International Honor Roll here, April 7, 2017.
The International Honor Roll program recognizes international alumni that have achieved a high position of leadership within their own countries as an Air Chief equivalent or higher.
Lt. Gen. Steven Kwast, AU commander and director, began by saying the induction t is one of his favorites, because it celebrates the investment made to procure a peaceful future and the partnership and friendship we share with our allies.
“This is a celebration that is joined not by just the military, but the community who understand that the foundation of defense is a civilization that believes in a peaceful use of power,” he said.
The program was first initiated in 1985 by former U.S. Vice Chief of Staff, Gen. John L. Piotrowski and has since inducted 472 international officers from 97 different nations.
The nations represented this year were, Botswana, Bulgaria, Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Ghana, Japan, Latvia, Republic of Macedonia, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Oman, Philippines, Poland, Rwanda, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Sri Lanka and Turkmenistan.
Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David L. Goldfein, said that hosting this event this week, along with several other airpower events leading up to the Maxwell air show, gives proper recognition to these great leaders and epitomized what nations can do when forged by enduring bonds.
“Our strength, our collective strength will come from personal and professional bonds and how we work together to tackle the incredible challenges facing the global security environment. I’ve said this before and I believe it in my heart, one of our greatest strengths as nations is our ability to form and maintain partnerships,” Goldfein said.
He ended by congratulating and thanking the inductees for giving others the opportunity to learn from their personal experiences.
The international officers inducted during today’s ceremony, like previous inductees, were honored with a plaque in the International Officer School’s Honor Roll Room.
International Honor Roll inductees for 2016:
- Senior Assistant Commissioner of Police Arthur Johnson, Director, Air Support Branch, Botswana Police Service, Squadron Officer School 1999 alumni.
- Maj. Gen. Tsanki Stoykov, Commander, Bulgarian Air Force, Air War College 2003 alumni.
- Gen. Carlos Eduardo Bueno Vargas, Commander, Colombian Air Force, Air War College 2002 alumni.
- Maj. Gen. Luis N. Payan Diaz, Commander, Dominican Air Force, Squadron Officer School 1994 alumni.
- Maj. Gen. Carlos Jaime Mena Torres, Vice Minister of National Defense, Squadron Officer Schoo 1995 and Air War College 2005 alumni.
- Air Vice Marchal Griffiths Santrofi Evans, Commandant, Kofi Annan International Peacekeeping Training Centre, Air Command and Staff College 1996 and AWC 2005 alumni.
- Gen. Yoshiyuki Sugiyama, Chief of Staff, Koku-Jieitai, AWC 1999 alumni.
- Col. Armands Saltups, Commander, Latvian Air Force, ACSC 2003 alumni.
- Col. Robert Malezanski, Commander, Air Force Brigade, ACSC 2009 alumni.
- Air Brig. Gen. Dennis Luyt, Commander, Royal Netherlands Air Force, AWC 2004 alumni.
- His Excellency Mohamed bin Nasser Al-Rasby, Secretary General, Ministry of Defense, AWC 1989 alumni.
- Lt. Gen. Edgar R. Fallorina, Commanding General, Philippine Air Forces, SOS 1995 alumni.
- Maj. Gen. Jan Sliwka, Deputy Commander of the Polish Armed Forces, ACSC 1999 alumni.
- Brig. Gen. Tomasz Drewniak, Inspector of the Polish Air Force, AWC 2005 alumni.
- Maj. Gen. Jacques Musemakweli, army Chief of Staff, ACSC 2000 alumni.
- Brig. Gen. Chris Murari, Chief J3, SOS 1998 alumni.
- Brig. Gen. Emmanuel Bayingana, Vice Chaiman of the National Itorero Commission, AWC 2009 alumni
- Col. Emmanuel Rugazora, Air Base Commander, AWC 2011 alumni.
- Lt. Col. Michael Pouponneau, Commading Officer, Seychelles Air Force, SOS 1990 alumni.
- Maj. Gen. Mervyn Tan Wei Ming, Chief of the Air Force, Republic of Singapore Air Force, ACSC 2004 alumni.
- Col. Bojan Brecelj, Commander, 15th Wing, Slovenian Air Force, ACSC 1998 alumni.
- Air Chief Marshal (r) Gagan Bulathsinghala, Ambassador to Afghanistan, ACSC 1999 alumni.
- Air Chief Marshal Kolitha Aravinda Gunatilleke, Chief of the Fefense Staff, ACSC 1998 alumni.
- Col. Azat Overzmuradov, Commander of the Air Forces and Air Defense, SOS 2006 alumni.