HomeInbound Personnel

Permanent Party

In-processing for both Maxwell AFB and Gunter-Annex personnel is conducted your unit's Commander Support Staff (CSS). Please bring all hand carried documents from your previous base/location. Your CSS will assist with your in-processing records screening and other documentation.  Additionally, your CSS will schedule you for Right Start Newcomer’s Orientation. Right Start is held once a month and is mandatory for military members and DoD civilians.  For more information to assist with your permanent party move, access the Heroes Welcome Initiative or MyBaseGuide resources page to discover many popular state, federal, and national resources available to military families.


In-processing for Air University students is handled by respective schools.

Local Schools

Over the past few years, the public schools serving Maxwell-Gunter AFB family members have made headway in providing better experiences for military-connected children. In addition, the K-12 Education Working Group has partnered with local school districts to increase the number of options for military dependents.  For more information on public education choices are available for the 2020-2021 school year, click here.


Located in Bldg. 804.  For more information, please contact Customer service at DSN: 312-493-3288 or 334-953-3288 or e-mail maxwell.finance@us.af.mil

Airman & Family Readiness Center (A&FRC)

For more information call 334-953-2353 or visit us our website or Facebook page


All incoming military members arriving during duty hours should report to their respective units or schools. If you arrive after hours, check in with lodging until your Commander's Support Staff is open the next duty day.

Documents to Hand Carry

  • Several copies of your orders
  • ID cards, social security cards, driver’s license and passports
  • Copies of all insurance policies
  • Immunization records for all children and pets
  • School records for the children and high school/college transcripts for the adults
  • Copies of any occupational licenses and certifications
  • Spouse resume and last pay statement
  • Certified copies of birth cert., adoption papers, naturalization papers, marriage licenses, divorce papers, etc.
  • Purchase agreements for your vehicles, showing state sales tax paid
  • Vehicle registration and title
  • Your household goods inventory and any related documentation
  • Letters of transfer from religious, professional, or social organizations
  • Letters of credit from current/previous utility companies
  • Contact information for credit card companies, utility companies, etc.
  • Copies of prescriptions for medication, eye glasses, or contact lenses
  • Copies of family medical records, it at all possible
  • Copies of federal income tax forms
  • Copies of recent Leave and Earnings Statement
  • Any other legal documents
  • Information Assurance Training Certificate

Air Force Inns / University Inn

University Inn is one of the largest lodging operations in the world. There is a lodging campus located on both Maxwell AFB and Gunter Annex. Each room is equipped to meet Air Force standards, with select rooms having micro-kitchens with a stove top. Certain TLF rooms are also pet-friendly, for those who meet specific eligibility. Most of the property is dedicated to thousands of students attending classes with Air University. . Central reservations for both bases can be made by calling DSN 312-493-2055 or 334-953-2055 Option #1 or by visiting http://af.dodlodging.net/propertys/maxwell-AFB.  Reservations can be made at University Inn for families inbound on PCS orders to stay in one of the Temporary Lodging Facilities (TLF’s). Those who obtain accommodations will be allowed to stay up to 30 days if quarters are available. For those traveling with family pets, the University Inn does have a limited amount of pet friendly TLF’s. If no pet friendly TLF quarters are available then boarding arrangements should be made in advance to care for your animals.


When it comes to moving and changing permanent duty stations, being prepared and making the right decisions can make the difference between a seamless move or one filled with frustrations. Visit the following website for more information: Military Installations, Plan My Move, Heroes Welcome, and www.move.mil

Sponsorship Training

The AFRC Relocation Program is here to support Sponsors and Command Support Staff who are charged with managing and monitoring the unit level Sponsorship Program. The first step to becoming a successful Sponsor is taking the e-sponsorship application training (eSAT)

Spouse Employment Reciprocity in Alabama

License reciprocity in the State of Alabama is handled by each individual professional body self-regulated within existing state laws and regulations. Please refer to the professional body’s website for further information.

Lending Closet

The Lending Closet provides essential items for the incoming PCSing family while they are awaiting the arrival of their household goods and also to outgoing families. A copy of orders must be presented in order to use this service.  Dishes, Toasters, Futons, Silverware, Coffee Pots, Card Tables, High Chairs, Pots/Pans, Mixers, Folding Chairs, Pack and Play, Irons, Ironing Boards. Lodging Kits (with kitchen supplies) are available to make your move a little smoother.  NOTE: Plan to bring with you or put in unaccompanied baggage: pillows, sheets, and blankets. Students may also check out items, but members on PCS orders have priority.

Childcare for PCS

The Maxwell Relocation Assistance Program offers the Child Care for PCS Program sponsored by the Air Force Aid Society. This program is intended to help relieve some of the stress felt by families in the process of a PCS move. The Air Force Aid Society will pay up to 20 hours of child care per child in certified Family Child Care homes or the CDC/Youth Center on base. Families with PCS orders are eligible to receive a certificate from the AFRC relocation staff for use within 60 days of the family's arrival at the base.

Emergency Assistance

From time to time, emergencies occur while moving. The Relocation Assistance Program office has the resources to provide emergency financial assistance and referrals.  The Air Force Aid Society is available to assist with financial emergencies that may occur.

For more information on Relocation call the Airman and Family Readiness Center at (334)953-2353 or DSN 312-493-2353.


Air War College and Air Command and Staff College students with families requesting base housing should remember the advance housing application, DD Form 1746, must be received by March 31st of the school year for first round housing assignments. May, June, July and August are extremely high PCS months for Maxwell-Gunter. It is very important that inbound personnel arriving during these months call the Maxwell Traffic

Management Flight in advance at 334-953-4774/4775 or DSN 312-493-4774/4775 to provide contact information.

Housing Referral Office

Visit the Air Force Housing website to find your new home with the Air Force. This website serves as a one-stop shop for Airmen and their families to obtain information about the housing options and support services available to them at Maxwell-Gunter AFB.  Maxwell-Gunter Housing Office at 334-953-5718 or DSN 312-493-5718.

If you’re interested in checking out what housing options are available at or near your new location, check out Homes.mil at https://www.homes.mil/homes/DispatchServlet/HomesEntry . Once you begin your search, you’ll gain access to the Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) link where you can begin the process of applying for Military and Privatized Housing as well as obtain information about local community housing.

Privatized Housing

At Maxwell AFB, military family housing is privatized. Maxwell Family Housing, a Hunt Military Community, owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you now may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Hunt Military Communities.
For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Maxwell AFB, visit Maxwell Family Housing. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.


Maxwell AFB and Gunter Annex are located in Montgomery, the Alabama state capitol, and Alabama's historic River Region. Montgomery's Tri-County area is rich in history and combines a small town atmosphere with big city features. Montgomery is centrally located 82 miles south of Birmingham, the largest city in the state, and 162 miles from Atlanta, Georgia. 350,000 people reside in the Montgomery greater metropolitan region. The moderate cost of living, warm climate, location, and military environment attract many military retirees and families to the heart of Alabama.

Maxwell AFB and Gunter Annex are located in Montgomery, Alabama. Montgomery is situated at the intersection of I-85 (East) and I-65 (North and South). Montgomery is 162 miles southwest of Atlanta - an easy 2 1/2 hour drive by car along I-85. The city of Birmingham is located just 82 miles to the north of Montgomery - less than 1 1/2 hours traveling along I-65

From the Montgomery Airport

To Maxwell AFB

Take a right on to Highway 80 and follow the signs to I-65 N Downtown. Take I-65 N Downtown exit. Take Herron Street exit and turn left at 3rd light onto Maxwell Blvd. Maxwell Blvd. Gate is approximately 2 miles straight then veer right.

To Gunter-Annex

Take I-65 north and exit at Northern Blvd Exit. Take Northern Blvd until you see exit for Gunter. Take right at exit onto Federal Drive and Gate is on your left.


Interstates 85 and 65 leading to the base are marked.

Driving from the East

If you are driving to Montgomery from the East, take I-85 south; exit at the Day Street exit (exit 171). This leads directly to the front gate at Maxwell, 2-3 miles located on the right. Request directions to the University Inn (billeting) from the Security Forces and check in at billeting or follow the directions that your sponsor has given you as what to do upon arrival.

Driving from the North

Traveling from the north, take I-65 South into Montgomery, exit at the Day St exit, (exit 172) and the front gate is approximately 1-2 miles on the right.

Driving from the South

Driving from the South, take I-65 North, (exit 172), Take Herron Street exit and turn left at 3rd light onto Maxwell Blvd. and Maxwell Blvd. Gate is approximately 2 miles on right. Gunter Annex is located in the northeast corner of the city and can be accessed by the Interstate highway system. If traveling from I65 South or North take the Northern Blvd Exit and take the Gunter Exit off the Northern Blvd on to Congressman Dickenson Hwy and Gunter Annex is on the left. Request directions to the University Inn (billeting) from the Security Forces and check in at billeting or follow the directions that your sponsor has given you as what to do upon arrival.

It’s likely that employment will change when a move occurs, especially for military spouses. The information below will provide you with employment assistance information and resources available such as Heroes WelcomeSECOMyCAA and MSEP Portals.

The employment atmosphere in the River Region is steady and growing. Reasonable commuting areas include Prattville, Elmore, Wetumpka, and Millbrook. Montgomery is the capital of Alabama with the majority of state government jobs (9,500 employees) located in this area. The Federal Government is the largest employer in the area due to Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base (12,700 employees). Baptist Health Systems employs over 4,000 employees and the Montgomery Public Schools employ 4,000 employees as well. There is a variety of employment opportunities on the installation and in the local community. For individual employment assistance for job opportunities on the installation and local community contact the Airman and Family Readiness Center Employment Assistance Program at (334) 953-2353

Military Spouse Occupational License Portability

The State of Alabama and the Department of Defense have collaborated to develop laws, policies, and resources that reduce the burden of relicensing when military spouses relocate from another state. The results of these efforts are summarized below, with more options being adopted regularly.

Interstate Compacts

Compacts are agreements between two or more states of the United States that are approved by those states’ respective legislatures. When applied to occupational licenses, interstate compacts provide full reciprocity between states. Alabama is party to the following occupational license compacts:

The Alabama Military Family Jobs Opportunity Act of 2018

This law requires the majority of state occupational licensure boards to provide temporary or permanent licenses to military spouses transferring to Alabama. It also requires the boards to waive any initial licensing fees. The Alabama Military Stability Foundation provides additional information at this site.

Stand-alone Professions

The Alabama Legislature has also passed legislation that affords licensing accommodations for military spouses in certain fields, including:

Military Spouse Teacher Certification

The Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE) provides expedited application review to active duty military personnel and their spouses who hold valid professional educator certificates issued by other states, territories, or Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA). Alabama Superintendents may request temporary licenses on behalf of their employees for up to four years. ALSDE provides certificates of reciprocity to recognize out of state valid professional educator certificates and an easy online platform to access the expedited process, apply for certification, and access several options for achieving certification at this site.

Additional Information

Heroes Welcome


Many #MilSpouses work in occupations that require specific licenses or credentials. If the military is moving your family to the State of Alabama, the Heroes Welcome Initiative gives you the proper contact information for your applicable licensure and/or credentialing agency. To ensure you are set up for success, review the https://www.heroeswelcome.alabama.gov/licensure_boards/ to identify rapid pathways into the workforce in Alabama.

Military families may request child care by visiting MilitaryChildCare.com. This Department of Defense website serves all military families seeking child care (including Child Development Centers, Family Child Care and school age care programs) and provides access to military-operated child care options world-wide. Families may search for and request care, manage their requests, and update their profile online, simplifying the process for finding child care.

Child Development Centers (CDC)

The Child Development Centers provide quality care for military and civilian children ages 6 weeks to 5 years (or until they start kindergarten). For more information contact either the Maxwell CDC at 334-953-6667 or DSN 312- 493-6667 or the Gunter Annex CDC at 334-416-3185 or DSN 312-596-3185.

School Age Program (SAP)

School Aged Centers are designed for children ages 5 to 12 years old. For more information contact either the Maxwell School-age Program at 334-953-6292 or DSN 312-493-6292 or the Gunter Annex School at 334-416-1427 or DSN 312-596-1427. Both School Aged Centers are accredited by the Council on Accreditation.

Youth Center Sponsorship Program

This program matches youth ages 9-18 coming to Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex with volunteer sponsors their own age. This will enable them to become familiar with the base and the surrounding area. We also work with children departing Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex for other bases. If you are leaving Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, we make every effort to contact your receiving base and get you a sponsor there.

Child Care for PCS

The Maxwell Relocation Assistance Program offers the Child Care for PCS Program sponsored by the Air Force Aid Society. This program is intended to help relieve some of the stress felt by families in the process of a PCS move. The Air Force Aid Society will pay up to 20 hours of child care per child in certified Family Child Care homes or the CDC/Youth Center on base. Families with PCS orders are eligible to receive a certificate from the Maxwell Airman and Family Readiness Center relocation staff for use within 60 days of the family's arrival at the base.

Exceptional Family Member Program

EFMP is a Department of Defense program offered by all branches of the military.  It is a mandatory enrollment program for all active duty Airmen who have a special needs family member.  The program is comprised of three components: EFMP-Medical (EFMP-M), EFMP-Assignments (EFMP-A) and EFMP-Family Support (EFMP-FS) that work toward a common goal of providing comprehensive and coordinated support to families.  EFMP-M supports the EFMP through screening, enrollment and assignment coordination through the Family Member Travel Screening.  EFMP-A considers the medical and educational needs of the family when it has been determined that the required services are not available at the Airman’s current or projected assignment location.  EFMP-FS is based on Section 563(c) NDAA FY2010 (Public Law 111-84).  Support is provided by the Airman and Family Readiness Center (A&FRC) EFMP-FS coordinators to all DoD ID cardholders assigned to the installation or located in the community. 

For more information on EFMP call the Airman and Family Readiness Center at (334) 953-2353 or DSN 312-493-2353.

Army Reserve Family Programs

Army Reserve Family Programs

Armed Services YMCA

Armed Services YMCA

Blue Star Families

Support. Connect. Empower-for military families by military families

Build a Sign

Provides one free sign to welcome your hero home. You only pay for shipping

Camp C.O.P.E.

Designed to help young heroes cope with the effects of war and deployments


Find care and services for your children, adults, pets and for your home

The Comfort Crew for Military Kids

Support for the social and emotional resiliency of military kids

Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress

Resources and articles for military families.

Educator Guide: Military Child During Deployment

Educators can build coping skills in their students during and after a military deployment.

Family Guidebook: Dealing with Deployment

Guidebook to support parents and caregivers as they help their children handle deployment.

Fisher House Foundation

Housing when you have a service member hospitalized for injury, illness or disease.

American Gold Star Mothers Inc.

An organization of mothers who have lost a son or daughter in the service of our country

Gold Star Wives of America Inc.

Support for widows/ widower of service members who died on active duty


Supports service members and their families maintain continuity of care

The American Legion

Nations largest veterans service organization, committed to mentoring youth

Love and Logic

Parenting-Raising responsible children

Screening for Mental Health

Resource for mental health tools

Military's Interstate Children's Compact Commission

Includes the Interstate Compact

National Military Family Association

Provides free camps for children in military families.

Military HomeFront

A webpage for military families about DoD programs that are available to them.

Military Impacted Schools Association

Serve school districts with a high concentration of military children

Military Officers Association of America

Financial assistance for students who are children of former, current or retired military

Northside Independent School District

Northside I.S.D. Comprehensive Guidance Dept.

National Resource Directory

Connecting Service Members, Veterans, and Their Families with support

Operation Homefront

Provides emergency financial and other assistance to families of our service members and wounded warriors.

Operation Military Kids

Support for children and youth impacted by deployment

Operation We are Here

Resources for Military Families

Our Military Kids

Grants for the children of National Guard/Military Reserve who are currently deployed

Region 20: Parent Resources

Education Service Center is committed to providing products, information and solutions for parents, caregivers and families.

American Red Cross

Emergency aid and support for military families

Sesame Street for Military Families

Toolkit celebrates families' strength and resilience in next step of their adventure (multimedia intiative)

Sitter City Military Program

Child Care Program for Military Families.

Student On Line Achievement Resources

Resources to help parents with their children’s education (includes on line tutoring)

Surviving Deployment

Information and resources for military families

National Center for Telehealth & Technology

Support of psychological health and traumatic brain injury recovery in the military

Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors

Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS)


Online tutoring and homework help.

United Through Reading

Parent records reading a book online/via video/tape recorder and it is sent to the child

United Way

United Way of San Antonio

USO Transition 360 Alliance

Initiative to help U.S. Military personnel and their families transition back into civilian life after service ends.

The Trevor Romain Company

DVDs and curriculum for military families.

Official DOD Customer Moving Portal

Planning, scheduling and getting ready for the move. 

Heroes Welcome

Resources page to discover many popular state, federal, and national resources available to military families

Military OneSource

Information, Free books, DVDs, resources, handouts, etc.

Military Installations

Installation guides, base essentials, and information on different duty stations.

Plan my Move

Custom list for moving that shows tasks and how to complete them.

Sponsorship Training

Online sponsorship training


MILLIE is a guide to help buy or rent a home.