HomeNewsPhotos

Photos

22 Obs Sq 4th Photo Section
With the urging of U.S. Alabama Congressman Joseph Lister Hill, the War Department relocated the 2nd Observation Squadron and the 4th Photographic Section from Post Field, Oklahoma, to Montgomery Air Intermediate Depot, Alabama, on Nov. 30, 1921. These units provided battlefield observation and imagery for the Fourth Army Corps. The transfer of this unit gave the depot a semi-permanent mission and kept the depot open as the War Department sought to close unneeded military installations in the postwar period. The squadron later helped establish an airmail route between the Gulf Coast and northern Great Lakes area and the foundation of a permanent airmail service. (U.S. Air Force photo)

Download Image: Full Size (0.24 MB)
Tags: Max100
Photo by: Air University History Office |  VIRIN: 180208-F-ZZ999-1003.JPG