Finances focus of events|
by Kelly Deichert
Air University Public Affairs
2/10/2012 - MAXWELL AIR FORCE BASE, Ala. -- Military Saves Week gives service members the chance to learn more about their finances and make smart decisions regarding debt and investments.
When it comes to finances, there's always room for improvement, said Robertta Cole, the personal financial readiness consultant for the Maxwell Airman and Family Readiness Center.
"It takes time, organization and discipline to manage your money and not have it manage you," she said.
Military Saves Week events include:
· Children's events - Children can discover how important it is to save for a rainy day along with Sammy Rabbit Thursday. Presentations are at 9 a.m. at the Maxwell Child Development Center, 10:30 a.m. at the Maxwell Community Library, 1:30 p.m. at the Gunter Community Library, 2:30 p.m. at the Maxwell Youth Center and 3:30 p.m. at the Gunter CDC.
· Financial Wheel of Fortune - Take your chance on the wheel of fortune and test financial savvy from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 21 and Feb. 27 at the Maxwell River Inn. There will be one lucky winner every 30 minutes.
· Investment luncheon - Dan Lord from the Alabama Securities Commission will be speak about safe and wise investing from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 22 at the Maxwell AFRC. Free lunch will be provided for the first 50 people to register.
· Real estate lunch-and-learn - Barbara Lancaster from the Alabama Real Estate Commission will discuss using real estate as investments from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 23 at the Maxwell AFRC. Free lunch is available for first 20 to register.
· Couponing workshops - Learn how to stretch ollars using coupons and store specials at 6 p.m. Feb. 23 at the Gunter Community Center or 11:30 a.m. Feb. 24 at the Maxwell AFRC. Participants can bring a grocery receipt dated between Jan. 1 and Wednesday, and the person with the largest percentage of savings from using coupons will receive a grocery gift card.
Call the Maxwell AFRC at 953-2353 for information.