HomeAbout UsFrequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Collapse All Expand All

How do I find out about graduation activities for people attending Officer Training School?

The Family and Friends website provides information and also contains links about different events including graduation week activities.

How do I obtain my transcript from The Air University? 

To obtain your non CCAF or AFIT transcript, use the information at the following link: 

How do I obtain my transcript from the Community College of the Air Force? 

To obtain your CCAF Transcript, use the information at the following link:  http://www.au.af.mil/au/barnes/ccaf/transcripts.asp.  Or call 334-649-5066 for transcript questions.

I am not military or a DoD or U.S. government employee. How do I apply to Air University?

Air University courses are not available to the public.  Its courses are open to military and civilian government employees.

I'm a civilian working at a DoD or U.S. Gov location. Am I eligible to attend any of your courses? 

Due to the scope and breadth of the schools, centers, and institutes that comprise The Air University, we'll refer you to the Air University's Registrar's page at http://www.au.af.mil/au/cf/auregistrar/registrar.asp. There you will find additional resources and information regarding application processes and catalogs.

HINT: Look for a link titled Air University for Civilians.

I’m attending a graduation on Maxwell, how can I get access to the base?

You can contact the Maxwell Visitor Center at (334) 953-4283 for information on gaining access to the base.

My child is participating in the ROTC field training there; who can help me with information? 

You can send an E-mail to the AFROTC Operations Division and they will assist you.  Click here to send an email.

Where can I get information on Officer Training School (OTS) parade and graduation or how to contact my child/spouse? 
You can send an email to the OTS Customer Service and they will assist you.  Click here to send an email.

Who do I contact on issues with my CDC?

You can send an email to AU Education Support and they will assist you.  Click here to send an email.

I need to get a new military ID. What is the procedure for this?

The RAPIDS Appointment Scheduler web site can be found at the following link:  https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/appointment/default.aspx.

To answer your questions please contact 42 FSS ID Card Section at (334) 953-6487.

 What is the Security Forces' policy for base entry? 

Access to the installation is determined upon positive identification of an individual via a valid, unexpired, State or federally issued photo identification card and a valid DoD sponsor.  All visitors entering Maxwell/Gunter AFB will be vetted via a background check through NCIC or ALACOP prior to being granted unescorted access via a DBIDS visitors Pass.  If a visitor's criminal history presents outstanding warrants, violent, criminal offenses in their history or any felonies within a specified time frame, the determination for initial denial of entry will be made by Visitor Control Center (VCC) personnel/On-Duty Flight Chief.  The sponsor may decline to obtain the visitor a pass and physically escort visitors onto the installation.  The sponsor will be required to remain with the visitor throughout the duration of their stay and must escort their guest off the installation upon termination of the visit.


Please note, ALL Foreign National guests (Anyone without a United States State or Territory ID) are required to have a Foreign National Visit request submitted no later than three weeks prior to arrival, in order to facilitate the appropriate routing process.  Request forms can be retrieved at Bldg. 518/VCC during duty hours.


Individuals requesting driving access to the installation will need to provide valid, unexpired, state or federal picture identification card, proof of current vehicle insurance and current registration.


For special events or large scale functions, such as birthday parties, retirements, promotions, etc. with more than six personnel, an Entry Authorization List must be hand carried to the Visitors Center.  Requests must be submitted at least five duty days prior for any event smaller than 100 guests, and ten duty days prior for any event larger than 100 guests. The list must be typed, alphabetized by last name, and contain dates of birth and driver's license numbers and state of issue for all guests.  All EAL's will be placed at the Maxwell Blvd Gate or Congressman Dickerson Gate, depending on the location of the event.


Special events require an entry authorization list and must contain a minimum of seven individuals. The DoD identification card holder will be sponsoring the individuals on base and be with them at all times. 


For additional questions or concerns, contact the Maxwell Visitor Center at (334) 953-4283



How can I find out about doing business with the Air Force?

Information concerning doing business with United States Air Force organizations is centralized through the Air Force Acquisition Agency.

Please use the Acquisition Agency link below for more information.

How can I obtain historical information on the Air Force or Maxwell AFB?

Address your specific question to one of the following agencies:

Air Force Historical Research Agency 
600 Chennault Circle
Maxwell AFB, AL
(334) 953-2395

The Air Force Historical Research Agency is the repository for Air Force historical documents. The Agency's collection, begun in Washington, DC, during World War II, moved in 1949 to Maxwell Air Force Base, the site of Air University, to provide research facilities for professional military education students, the faculty, visiting scholars, and the general public. It consists today of over 70,000,000 pages devoted to the history of the service, and represents the world's largest and most valuable organized collection of documents on US military aviation.

AETC History Office
100 H Street East Ste 1
Randolph AFB TX
(210) 652-6564

The Air Force Historical Studies Office 
3 Brookley Ave, Box 94
Joint Base Anacostia Bolling
Washington, DC 20032-5000
(202) 404-2264

The National Archives and Records Administration 
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park, MD 20740-6001

Where can I find job opportunities at Maxwell Gunter AFB?

There are two places to look for job opportunities at Maxwell Air Force Base and Gunter Annex. On the home page, you can find all of these links listed in the right-hand column for easy access.

Job listings are available at the following links:
Air Force Personnel Center

How can I locate military personnel?

The Air Force can locate active duty personnel, as well as retirees, reservists and guardsmen. This information is not available for those who have separated from the Air Force or are Army Air Corps retirees. Information on individuals stationed overseas or in a sensitive position will not be released. However, the locator service will forward mail to that person for up to 90 days, as long as the correct postage is on the envelope and any required fee has been paid.

Parents, spouses and government officials may call (210) 565-2660.

If you need to contact a military member for emergency purposes, please call your local Red Cross chapter. Use operator assistance if necessary, or you may also find your local Red Cross chapter telephone number by visiting the American Red Cross, and entering your zip code in the Find Your Local Red Cross section.

Air Force Worldwide Locator   (http://www.afpc.af.mil/library/airforcelocator.asp)
550 C Street West Suite 50
Randolph AFB TX 78150-4752


How do I find my buddies from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, etc?

Air University has a website with tips on locating military personnel. Click here to view the website


How do I locate a person who is at Maxwell now?

Use the Air Force World Wide Locator.  For general numbers at Maxwell click here to view our on-line phone directory


Is there a central email directory for Air Force people?

There is no central email directory for Air Force people.

How do I get prescriptions filled or make appointments at the Maxwell Air Force Base Clinic?

The Maxwell Clinic is currently open to military member, retirees and their dependents on a space available basis. To make an appointment, call the clinic at (334) 953-3368. The pharmacy can be reached at (334) 953-6868.

Prescriptions, hours of operation and other medical information can be obtained by visiting the 42nd Medical Group website.

I am retired military and would like to find out about recreational and dining facilities available on Maxwell for retired visitors. 

The 42nd Force Support Squadron's website provides information pertaining to Maxwell.  The site address is http://www.42fss.us

I’m not affiliated with the Air Force but would like to know if I can use your facilities.

Only active duty personnel, retirees, reservists, guardsmen, DoD civilians and DoD contractors are allowed to access facilities at Maxwell AFB.  If you are not affiliated with Maxwell you must be sponsored on by someone who lives or works here. In addition to a sponsor, you need a valid driver's license, auto registration and proof of insurance.

How can I obtain copies of my military records?

Individual military departments, including the Air Force, do not maintain files or records pertaining to individuals no longer on active duty. When an individual is separated from military service (because of retirement, discharge from active duty or death), his/her Field Personnel File (containing all military and health records) is forwarded for storage to the National Personnel Records Center (Military). The Records Center is under the jurisdiction of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) of the United States Government. An individual's complete service record is available to the former service member or, if deceased, to his/her next of kin (parents, spouse, or children). Limited information (such as dates of service, awards, and training) is available to anyone. Not available to the general public is information which would invade an individual's privacy; for example, medical records, Social Security number, or present address. If requesting the records of a relative, a requester should mention the relationship to the former member (brother, uncle, or other). There is no charge for this service to former service members or their next of kin. For others, a nominal fee is charged for research and reproduction costs. Files at the Records Center are maintained as historical records only and are not updated to reflect current data on the former service member. The address for the National Personnel Records Center is:

National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138
Phone: (314) 801-0800
Fax: (314) 801-9195
Email: MPR.center@nara.gov

For individuals compiling family histories, NARA provides assistance to those interested in genealogy. NARA normally charges a nominal fee for research and reproduction costs. Their address is:

National Archives and Records Administration
The National Archives and Records Administration
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park, MD 20740-6001
Phone: 1-866-272-6272
Fax: 301-837-0483


How can I obtain copies of transcripts of my AF formal training? 

See the "Air University Education and Training Records" link below.

How do I download a high resolution photo from the gallery?

To save a high-resolution image from the photo gallery, select the photo from the gallery. Click the high-resolution option below the photo.  Right-click the image and choose the "Save as..." option to save it to your hard drive.

If you use an image downloaded from this site, as a courtesy, please identify it as a U.S. Air Force Photo or image. However, you must not imply the Air Force endorses anything done with the photos or images.


Is the Maxwell-Gunter Dispatch base newspaper available online?

Although a base newspaper is produced here, a full PDF document is not available online. A full archive of articles are available on this site in the News section.


Where can I get the latest news about Maxwell?

Visit the News area of this Web site for the latest news and archived news stories.

Where can I get information on Space Available travel?

Air Mobility Command's Web page features information on the rules and locations offering Space-A travel. For a current listing of available flights from Maxwell, call the Maxwell flight information line at (334) 953-6760.

My family/company would like to do something special for our troops overseas. How can we send a care package to them?

Military.com website provides information and instruction on sending packages to our troops.  You can access the site by going to: 

Are there tours of Maxwell Air Force Base?

Tour information can be found on the Community Engagement webpage.


Do you have a museum? Is it open to the public?

The U.S. Air Force Enlisted Heritage Hall is open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. except for federal holidays. Located at Maxwell's Gunter Annex, the Enlisted Heritage Hall hosts thousands of people each year who learn from its educational, enlightening and fascinating story. 

In accordance with established security procedures, Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base has limited access to the museum to those individuals who have permission to enter the base. Specifically, the museum is open to base personnel and individuals who have the appropriate credentials to enter the installation. 

While it is important for the public to come and see their Air Force firsthand, it is paramount Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base takes the necessary steps to support its primary mission of education and national defense objectives. 

However, members of the public who wish to visit the Enlisted Heritage Hall may do so by calling the museum at (334) 416-3202.


How do I request Air Force aviation support for my event?

All requests for Air Force aviation support -- flyovers, aerial reviews, aerial demonstrations, Thunderbirds -- should be submitted on the Air Force aerial events Web site. The site includes guidance on how to submit a request, how to contact an Air Force unit, and appropriate forms. Events are normally supported on a voluntary basis and must not impact combat capabilities.


I grew up at Maxwell. Am I able to visit the base, housing areas, and schools?

Maxwell is a closed base. If you do not have a military I.D. card, you must be employed on base as a civilian and have the appropriate identification or you must be sponsored on by someone who lives or works here. In addition to a sponsor, you need a valid driver's license, auto registration and proof of insurance.