Welcome to Maxwell Air Force Base  

HomeInbound personnel

About Maxwell

Maxwell AFB and Gunter Annex are located in Montgomery, the Alabama state capitol, and Alabama's historic River Region. Montgomery's Tri-County area is rich in history and combines a small town atmosphere with big city features. Montgomery is centrally located 82 miles south of Birmingham, the largest city in the state, and 162 miles from Atlanta, Georgia. 350,000 people reside in the Montgomery greater metropolitan region. The moderate cost of living, warm climate, location, and military environment attract many military retirees and families to the heart of Alabama.


Maxwell AFB and Gunter Annex are located in Montgomery, Alabama. Montgomery is situated at the intersection of I-85 (East) and I-65 (North and South). Montgomery is 162 miles southwest of Atlanta - an easy 2 1/2 hour drive by car along I-85. The city of Birmingham is located just 82 miles to the north of Montgomery - less than 1 1/2 hours traveling along I-65.

Getting checked in


In-processing for Air University Students is handled by respective schools.

Permanent Party

In-processing for permanent party personnel reporting to both Maxwell and Gunter is conducted by the unit commander's support staff. Please bring all hand carried documents given to you during your out-processing briefing from your losing base (i.e. medical records, personnel records, and finance records). Your commander's support staff will schedule you for central in-processing to accomplish Personnel Records screening, completion of travel vouchers and military pay matters. Your CSS will schedule you for Right Start in-processing during unit in-processing.


Located in Bldg. 804.  Hours of operation are Customer Service Counter 0830-1600 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday and 0830-1200 Thursday.  In-processing briefing is held at 0900 on Mondays and Wednesdays.  Customer service DSN: 312-493-3288 or 334-953-3288 Customer service Email: maxwell.finance@us.af.mil


Visit Airman & Family Readiness Center for information on employment opportunities, financial counseling, volunteer resources, personal and work life counseling, Air force aide, or assistance for your family member with special needs.  – 334-953-2353




Checking In

All incoming military members arriving during duty hours should report to their respective units or schools. If you arrive after hours, check in with lodging until your Commander's Support Staff is open the next duty day. Your sponsor will be a big help in pointing you in the right direction or taking you to the key locations until you are settled into your new community.

Documents to Hand Carry

Several copies of your orders

ID cards, social security cards, driver’s license and passports

Copies of all insurance policies

Immunization records for all children and pets

School records for the children and high school/college transcripts for the adults

Copies of any occupational licenses and certifications

Spouse resume and last pay statement

Certified copies of birth cert., adoption papers, naturalization papers, marriage licenses, divorce papers, etc.

Purchase agreements for your vehicles, showing state sales tax paid

Vehicle registration and title

Your household goods inventory and any related documentation

Letters of transfer from religious, professional, or social organizations

Letters of credit from current/previous utility companies

Contact information for credit card companies, utility companies, etc.

Copies of prescriptions for medication, eye glasses, or contact lenses

Copies of family medical records, it at all possible

Copies of federal income tax forms

Copies of recent Leave and Earnings Statement

Any other legal documents

Information Assurance Training Certificate

Relocation Assistance

When it comes to moving and changing permanent duty stations, being prepared and making the right decisions can make the difference between a seamless move or one filled with frustrations. Visit the following website for more information: MilitaryInstallations , Plan My Move and www.move.mil

Right Start: This Newcomer’s Orientation program is the Wing Commander’s program to welcome newcomers to Maxwell-Gunter. Right Start is held monthly on scheduled Thursdays.  Right Start is mandatory for military members and DoD civilians.  Spouses are cordially invited to attend. Military members will be scheduled for Right Start by their CCS. Right Start consists of two parts.  Part I is held from 0800-1200 at the Maxwell Club, Building 144. Participants have approximately an hour and a half for lunch before Part II begins.  Part II is for active duty military only. It is held from 1345-1600 at Outpatient Ambulatory Clinic, Building 760.  

Sponsorship Training:  The A&FRC Relocation Program is here to support Sponsors and Command Support Staff who are charged with managing and monitoring the unit level Sponsorship Program. The first step to becoming a successful Sponsor is taking the e-sponsorship application training (eSAT)

Relocation/Sponsorship Awareness Class: This class is open to everyone!  The focus is to gain knowledge on relocation resources, connect with bases and local agencies, understand how to utilize electronic tools, and be the best sponsor possible through all phrases of relocation. 

PCS Brief/Remote Tour Briefing:  Relocating from Maxwell/Gunter AFB?  If this is your first PCS or your Fifth the relocation manager can help guide you through the steps to a smooth move.   

OTS Smooth Move: Assists service members and their families with preparing for PCS assignments overseas or stateside.

Lending Closet:  The Lending Closet provides essential items for the incoming PCSing family while they are awaiting the arrival of their household goods and also to outgoing families. A copy of orders must be presented in order to use this service.  Dishes, Toasters, Futons, Silverware, Coffee Pots, Card Tables, High Chairs, Pots/Pans, Mixers, Folding Chairs, Pack and Play, Irons, Ironing Boards. Lodging Kits (with kitchen supplies) are available to make your move a little smoother.  NOTE: Plan to bring with you or put in unaccompanied baggage: pillows, sheets, and blankets. Students may also check out items, but members on PCS orders have priority.

Child Care for PCS:  The Maxwell Relocation Assistance Program offers the Child Care for PCS Program sponsored by the Air Force Aid Society. This program is intended to help relieve some of the stress felt by families in the process of a PCS move. The Air Force Aid Society will pay up to 20 hours of child care per child in certified Family Child Care homes or the CDC/Youth Center on base. Families with PCS orders are eligible to receive a certificate from the Maxwell Airman and Family Readiness Center relocation staff for use within 60 days of the family's arrival at the base.

Give Parents a Break:  Monthly program for the purpose of allowing families a few hours break from the stresses of parenting.

Emergency Assistance:  From time to time, emergencies occur while moving. The Relocation Assistance Program office has the resources to provide emergency financial assistance and referrals.  The Air Force Aid Society is available to assist with financial emergencies that may occur.

For more information on Relocation call the Airman and Family Readiness Center at (334)953-2353 or DSN 312-493-2353.



Air War College and Air Command and Staff College students with families requesting base housing should remember the advance housing application, DD Form 1746, must be received by March 31st of the school year for first round housing assignments. May, June, July and August are extremely high PCS months for Maxwell-Gunter. It is very important that inbound personnel arriving during these months call the Maxwell Traffic

Management Flight in advance at 334-953-4774/4775 or DSN 312-493-4774/4775 to provide contact information.

Housing Referral Office

Visit the Air Force Housing website to find your new home with the Air Force. This website serves as a one-stop shop for Airmen and their families to obtain information about the housing options and support services available to them at Maxwell-Gunter AFB.  Maxwell-Gunter Housing Office at 334-953-5718 or DSN 312-493-5718.

If you’re interested in checking out what housing options are available at or near your new location, check out Homes.mil at https://www.homes.mil/homes/DispatchServlet/HomesEntry . Once you begin your search, you’ll gain access to the Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) link where you can begin the process of applying for Military and Privatized Housing as well as obtain information about local community housing.     

Privatized Housing

At Maxwell AFB, military family housing is privatized. Maxwell Family Housing, a Hunt Military Community, owns the family housing and is responsible for maintaining, repairing, constructing and managing the community. In addition to your option to purchase and rent housing in the local community, you now may choose to live in privatized housing by signing a tenant lease agreement with Hunt Military Communities.
For comprehensive information about the privatized housing community at Maxwell AFB, visit Maxwell Family Housing. The website provides information you need to know about the homes and amenities available in the privatized housing community.

  • How to get here

Temporary Lodging

The Maxwell and Gunter lodging complexes consist of 21 buildings and over 1,200 rooms.

There is lodging at both Maxwell and Gunter. All rooms are provided with a television, telephones, and refrigerators, and many are equipped with a small kitchen facility. Central reservations for both bases can be made by calling DSN 312-493-2055 or 334-953-2055 Option #1 or by visiting http://af.dodlodging.net/propertys/maxwell-AFB .  Reservations can be made at University Inn for families inbound on PCS orders to stay in one of the Temporary Lodging Facilities (TLF’s). Those who obtain accommodations will be allowed to stay up to 30 days if quarters are available. Guests arriving after 6:00 p.m., must guarantee their reservations with a valid credit card. It is the guest's responsibility to ensure a valid credit card is given to hold the room after 6:00 p.m. All rooms must be paid for in advance by cash, check, VISA or MasterCard. For those traveling with family pets, the University Inn does have a limited amount of pet friendly TLF’s. If no pet friendly TLF quarters are available then boarding arrangements should be made in advance to care for your animals.