MAXWELL AIR FORCE BASE, Ala. --
In this issue:
- The SSQ editor interviews Charles A. Kupchan, senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, on how U.S. alliances past, present and future can be the deciding factor in conflict escalation/de-escalation.
- Emma Moore, research assistant at the Center for a New American Security, discusses whether the U.S. can tolerate manpower and platform attrition and maintain the capability and will to fight and win.
- The Air Command and College dean, James Wood Forsyth Jr., and ACSC professor Ann Mezzell revisit an article from SSQ’s 2007 inaugural edition on the “death” of great power war.
- Retired Lt. Gen. Henry Obering III and Hudson Institute senior fellow Rebeccah L. Heinrichs discuss the urgency of the U.S. adapting its missile defense policy and strategy to outmaneuver the China threat.
- Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments President and CEO Thomas G. Mahnken and former CSBA senior analyst Gillian Evans investigate how China and Russia are exploiting ambiguity and U.S. risk aversion as part of their nuclear strategies.
- Paul Szymanski, Space Strategies Center president, offers a practical view of space war fighting based on his 46 years’ experience in the space and missile arena.
- RAND senior defense analyst Derek Grossman and In-Q-Tel data scientist John Speed Meyers address the gaps in U.S. military strategy toward China.
- Center for New American Security research assistant Ainikki Riikonen explores how the U.S. response to China’s expanded information capabilities will shape future great power competition.
Winter book reviews include Rising Titans, Falling Giants by Joshua R. Itzkowitz Shifrinson, China’s Vision of Victory by Jonathan D. T. Ward, US National Security by Paul R. Viotti, American Power and Liberal Order by Paul D. Miller and The Future of Intelligence by Mark M. Lowenthal.
The winter edition is available at www.airuniversity.af.edu/SSQ . To subscribe to SSQ, visit www.airuniversity.af.edu/ssq/. To provide feedback, send an email to email@example.com or SSQ-Editor@hqau.af.edu.