HomeNewsPhotos

Photos

Wright Brothers Workshop Feb May 1910
Between February and May 1910, Wilbur Wright operated the first civilian flying school in the United States on a part of a cotton plantation owned by Frank D. Kohn Field near Montgomery, Alabama. Prominent Montgomery businessmen donated the land, built a hangar-workshop, and then extended the city’s trolley line to reach the school, located on a site where the current Maxwell operations building is located. Unfortunately, the school closed in early May because of unseasonably high winds and protracted time to bring replacement parts from the Wrights’ workshop in Dayton, Ohio. (U.S. Air Force photo)

Download Image: Full Size (0.23 MB)
Tags: Max100
Photo by: Air University History Office |  VIRIN: 180208-F-ZZ999-1001.JPG